- This event has passed.
World Psychiatry Association International Congress 2016
18/11/2016 - 22/11/2016
The South African Society of Psychiatrists (SASOP) is hosting a World Psychiatric Association (WPA) International Congress during November 2016 in Cape Town, South Africa. The congress will be held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) from the 18 to 22 November 2016. The congress presidents will be the current WPA’s President-Elect, Dinesh Bhugra, and the current President-Elect of the SASOP, Mvuyiso Talatala.
With the recent death of Nelson Mandela in December 2013, there was a fairly general realisation in South Africa, and elsewhere, that reconciliation, transformation and integration of our communities and of our clinical practice, have not been completed or, in some instances, not even undertaken yet. The theme of this congress will therefore be ‘Psychiatry: Integrative Care for the Community’ and will explore concepts, controversies and consequences of Psychiatry’s responsibility and accountability to society in terms of its scope of practice and of what can be considered as Psychiatry’s social contract.
The congress will consider how to integrate the developing scope of current psychiatric practice with emphasis on illness prevention, health promotion, clinical care, as well as rehabilitative interventions over the course of people’s life time. The congress will deliberate on the expanding systems required for all four dimensions of care to be integrated, including: Psychiatry’s core neuroscience content and evidence-base for clinical care (biological); established psychotherapeutic process (psychological) and active social involvement (social); undertaken within particular cultural, religious and spiritual contexts (spiritual).
In the process, the question of what aspects of psychiatric care and practice require further integration will be posed to member associations and delegates from the 18 different WPA Zones, as well as to the more than 65 different sections focusing on different interests within the WPA.
- Event Categories:
- Congress, International, Psychiatry, South Africa, World congress
- Event Tags:
- Africa, Africa Health, Biological, Cape Town, Cape Town International Convention Centre, Clinical care, Community psychiatry, Dinesh Bhugra, Health promotion, Health sciences, Healthcare, Illness prevention, International congress, Mvuyiso Talatala, Nelson Mandela, Neuroscience, Psychiatric practice, Psychiatry, Psychological, Rehabilitation interventions, SASOP, Social, South Africa, Spiritual, The South African Society of Psychiatrists, World Psychiatry Association International Congress, WPA
- Scatterlings Conference and Events – PCO
- +27 11 463 5085
- Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC)
- Cape Town, South Africa + Google Map